Here is the Club Captains update:
Well, the school summer holidays are rapidly drawing to a conclusion. Our beach has been well patronised this summer with great water and beautiful weather. Thank you to all members who have volunteered their time and expertise. I am certain that our actions are worthwhile and are appreciated by the public.
We have just returned from a nine day cruise (very nice) so I am a little out of contact with the beach. I believe that everything is still traveling along well.
A few points of note:
* There are still a few outstanding proficiencies to be completed. It’s not to late.
* Congratulations to all our new Bronze and surf cert. Members. Thanks to all instructors.
Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2013 and an enjoyable AUSTRALIA DAY!!!
Cheers, Dave Napper
And some updates from the Monthly Club Meeting held on January 18th:
Whiteboard has been put up in the gear shed.
On the whiteboard, please write up any damages that may happen or items which need to be fixed or replaced. If equipment is damaged during use please write up how it happened. This helps the Committee and Gear Steward to work out if things can be done to stop similar damage happening again. For example - we may change how and where items are stored.
Adrian Hutchinson, our Gear Steward - will prioritise work, arrange for action to be taken and report progress to the Committee.
Getting Expenses Reimbursed
It has been difficult to keep track of the receipts being provided to the Treasurer for reimbursement. To help out, a tray and Cheque Requisition form has been put in the cupboard where the Patrol Log is kept. Please attach the receipt to the form and fill in the details. The form is on the website as well. You must get approval from Ando before spending the money - preferably by email so the approval can be attached to the form.
When on Patrol
- When on patrol it is a perfect opportunity to practice skills like board paddling. Just be aware, that any additional equipment needs to be returned to the shed at the end of your patrol. The other day the tractor didn't start up when the afternoon patrol was packing up. This mean the afternoon patrol had to manually return all equipment to the shed and there were extra boards on the beach used by the morning patrol. Just something to be mindful of.
- It is a SLSA requirement that patrolling members always wear the skull cap. Having it tied on around your neck is quite ok when on the beach. When in the water swimming or on a board it must be on your head. This allows the public to be clear that you are a Lifesaver, and if an incident occurs your other Patrol Members can easily identify you.
- The Radios now need to be on channel 2 and 3.
- Next meeting is Thursday February 14th 6.30pm at the club. If you would like to raise something at the meeting please send Ando and Rowena an email beforehand so it can be added to the agenda. Our emails are on the Contacts page.
- Remember - the MEAT TRAY RAFFLE is on every Sunday @3pm at the Laurieton Hotel. The raffle has raised over $1,400 so far this season. This is being used to subsidise Nippers clothing and could be used to subsidise other club expenses. Nipper parents please call Glen 0425 206 683 and arrange a Sunday to take a turn.
- We now have a SOCIAL COMMITTEE which arranges the Monthly Friday night drinks (next one Friday 15th from 4.30pm) and will arrange other evens such as the Presentation Night and Camping Weekends. Current committee members include Kelly, Susan, Cassie, Suzie and Rowena. We meet once a month. Anyone can come along to the meetings. Next meeting Saturday 3pm at North Haven General Store. Anyone can join the Committee, or just be a helper. Contact Kelly 0429 024 220 who's in charge (President) during February.
- MONTHLY DRINKS - will be Friday 15th February from 4.30pm. Drinks are every second Friday of the month. Wine, beer and soft drinks are provided and we ask a donation is paid for drinks which will help provide for food at other drinks nights, and will accumulate to help subsidise the Presentation Night. There will be kids movies, pool, table tennis and nibbles available. The BBQ will be fired up around 5.30pm to keep the kids happy, so bring your own meat & salad and stay a while longer. It's a great night so see you there.
The Country Titles were held at South West Rocks at the end of January. You probably didn't know that James Langley (Patrol Captain) won a surfing medal, and Cassie Pensini and Suzie Bell who paddle Surf Boats for Tacking Point won a Gold Medal.
- Nippers returned to the beach on Sunday 20th January. It was a great day. Sadly the weather has cancelled some sessions since then.
- Parents please remember to ensure Nippers have applied sunscreen before arriving to sign on at the beach, have a water bottle and are wearing sun protective clothing. It is preferable that the high viz rashie be worn over the top of a sleeved rashie to reduce sun exposure.
- Parents please head to the Nippers registration tent as there is a list of helping activities there. Grab your favourite job and put your name against it. The help provided by the parents in all areas: 1) preparing food 2) registering Nippers 3) running the Beach Sprint 4) packing up, on Sunday 20th was outstanding and helped ensure the kids had a fun and energetic session. Your help was appreciated by the Committee and the kids.
- The rain came in under the upstairs doors during the flooding rain and soaked the carpet. Industrial air blowers have been brought in to dry it out.
- Patrol 4 young guns helped clean out the upstairs storeroom one rainy Sunday patrol after the fridge was accidentally switched off and flooded that room. They bravely killed one big rat and helped make the decision to bring in the Pest Control people.
- Adrian, our trusty Gear Steward, was poking around somewhere and disturbed another rat. He killed it with one targeted throw of a heavy thong.
- January drinks were well attended and even though it was blowing a stiff gale we cooked our dinners and enjoyed a lovely dinner & drinks inside.
- The Patrol Roster for the rest of the season has been sent to everyone by email, but it is on the Seniors page of this website site as well.
- The TV has been fixed so movies & sport can be shown at drinks nights and when on rainy day Patrols.
There's lots going on. Anyone who is looking for something to get involved in...
call Ando 0400 867 571.
Remember to set up your www.lifesavingonline.com.au account to get ready for Online Registration next season and check out the online learning facility.